Saturday, August 21, 2010

An Essay on ‘Creation myth and reality’ by Varun dhanda

A creation myth or creation story is a symbolic narrative of a culture, tradition or people that describes their earliest beginnings, how the world they know began and how they first came into it. (Source : wikipedia)


Have you ever been really sure about anything in life, think some more and you won’t need another person to prove yourself wrong.

Should we start thinking and stop believing?

...we don't know for sure how the universe started or how it will end. We don't know for sure how fiction transforms into facts and how facts go back to myths. We don't know for sure that universe even has a beginning or end. We don't know for sure if there is a difference between fiction and reality. What is fiction if not real thought? We don't know for sure if anything is for sure. Are clocks real? Six months on earth can be equal to one day on moon. Are our beliefs real? But everyone says that they are, I think then they must be. Do I believe that our world is a dream of a god sleeping in the ever-flowing river with a lotus coming out of his belly? Or maybe I should agree with scientific explanations, the reality of which depends on taking away the reality of something else. Every new technology makes the existing one obsolete. Is a scientific hypothesis any truer than fiction, fantasy or myth? Where does the hypothesis come from? Can I see the future before it happens? Is it possible to bend time and space? What is the shape of the universe? Maybe I should stop questioning and try and explain how and when and why about creation myths but isn't there enough already out there on wikipedia. But what is my perspective on this? Should I use it or lose it? Ignorance can make things disappear. That’s a thought. You might forget it. Myths survived, temples survived, cities survived, skeletons survived. How do I know? I don't know, maybe you told me. Why did you even tell me this? Is it important? Maybe like someone said helping people make informed choices in a democracy. What are informed choices in a democracy? I wonder what that means...

No comments:

Post a Comment